Maternity Reflexology is one of the most popular complementary therapies to assists with relieving symptoms or preventing the many discomforts and ailments commonly associated with pregnancy. Offering a natural and safe way of helping you to cope with the rapid changes your body goes through during pregnancy.
It improves general well-being, is very pleasant to receive, and induces a deep relaxation so your body can adjust more smoothly to the major changes required at this time.
Maternity Reflexology can be used from your first trimester onwards. Studies have shown that starting Reflexology by 32 weeks can reduce the need for induction by 70% as well as reduce labour time down to just 4 hours. Research Document
Research carried out in 1993/1994 by Consultant Obstetrician Dr Gowri Motha, showed that first time pregnant mums who received at least nine maternity reflexology treatments during their pregnancy, had far shorter birthing times than those who did not have reflexology. On average, their labours lasted 5-6 hours and they required significantly less pain relief too.
Video kindly shared with permission from MyBirthTV
Reflexology during pregnancy may help with
- A reduction in morning sickness, all day sickness and vomiting which persists past the three month stage of the pregnancy.
- To relieve indigestion, lower back pain, haemorrhoids and constipation.
- Preparing the body for labour by balancing all the body systems, especially the endocrine system which governs the labour process.
- The length of labour, which may be very much reduced by having regular Reflexology treatments in the weeks prior to the expected delivery date.
- Labour to help boost energy levels, and aids deep muscle relaxation between contractions. It may help with pain control by stimulating the production of natural endorphins. Partners can be taught the areas of the foot to treat during labour.
- Reducing the need for epidurals.
A full consultation will take place first before your treatment commences. You will be asked to provide as much information as possible so that an accurate record can be written. This will give overall picture of your general health, diet and lifestyle and to understand any pregnancy specific conditions that you may be facing.
Please note that as maternity reflexology complements the skilled work of the midwife, it is important that your inform your GP/ midwife’s before you book a treatment.
Each treatment is unique to you but will always include plenty of relaxation techniques.Reflexology is recommend throughout your pregnancy.The most beneficial programme would be as follows:
Trimester I and II:
A treatment every 2-3 weeks.
A treatment every 2 weeks, increasing to weekly treatments in the last month.
Reflexology is also beneficial post-natal
- Adjusting to the demands of coping with a new baby
- Coping with interrupted sleep and fatigue
- Increase energy levels
- Maintaining or increasing milk supply
- Support as your menstrual cycle returns to normal
- Re-balance the body
- Stabilise body weight
- Prevent post-natal depression
- General relaxation and “Me time”
Even though Reflexology is mostly a safe therapy, you should consider that some conditions are totally contraindicated to the Reflexology treatment during Pregnancy and they require immediate medical intervention:
- Placental abruption
- Placenta praevia
- Recent Bleeding
- Continuous vomiting
- HELLP Syndrome – a variant or complication of pre-eclampsia.
- DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- Polyhdramnios – too much amniotic fluid around the baby
- Oligohydramnios – insufficient amount of amniotic fluid surrounding the baby History of premature labour
More information on Reflexology can be found here